Tuesday 29 October 2013

Keeping Busy Keeps Me at My Best



Ahhh the wisdom and insight of the amazingly fabulous Lucille Ball. While this quote doesn't necessarily represent my life mantra, it certainly defines one of my life's truths. I have always found that I am at my social and personal best and most productive when I am busiest. Any time I have ever found myself in a slump, on the couch, wanting to cry and hide in my pjs all day long, chances are I was low on a list of things to do and responsibilities to be met.

While these days I cannot look to the pressures of school work, legal research or paper writing any more, recently I have found a way to make the busy life work with mommy life. A few days ago, a friend asked me how I have the time to work a full-time job, keep house, cook, be a wife, mother, blog, read books, captain and play on a sports team (or 2), study my lines and attend rehersals for a play, make it to weekly pilates sessions, get a toddler to her own activities, keep in touch with friends and family spanning the entire North American continent without crashing or imploding. Well, when you put it like that... I HAVE NO IDEA! Seriously! Am I insane?! (My actual response was something along the lines of... I'd rather not think about it because I might break down!)

It seems to me that I'm just one of those crazy people who functions best under constant movement and activity. I just seem to work best when I'm needed (or something like that). [And maybe, just maybe it has a little something to do with my amazing and supportive husband who recognizes the need to keep me swimming in the deep end.]

When I returned to work after my maternity leave last fall, I found the prospect of balancing a full-time career and being a wife and mother an impossibly daunting task. How the heck is it even possible? Should it even be a goal? What do I do when one or the other begins to suffer because of the attention required for the other? Let me tell you, I still haven't found the secret formula. I am not sure I ever will (or if there even is one). I can tell you that I've discovered that the less I think about it and stress about it, the easier it seems to be. 

Obviously I know the risks of burn out, but I've got some good people in my corner to rein me back in when I swim too far from the shore. 

It makes me wonder though, is there anyone else out there who feels the same way? Am I just crazy? When do you find you're at your best? How do you manage the balancing act? How many licks does it take to get to the centre of a Tootsie Roll Pop? I would love to hear your answers and comments below!

Happy Multi-Tasking!

4 comments:

  1. I swear you just wrote the words of my life! This is why we are friends - because we don't need to speak every day to understand each other. We are busy moms, wives, sisters, daughters, career-women, athletes and more! Luckily, we have our toddlers' social schedule and periodical sports ventures together to connect :) xoxo Bri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Bri! Thanks for always helping keep me sane (even indirectly). xoxo

      Delete
    2. Keep you sane? Or just validate the crazy? (Bri)

      Delete