Friday 9 August 2013

Book Review: Between You and Me

Between You and Me
Author: Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
Published: Simon and Schuster, Inc., Atria Books (First Published 2012)

PUBLISHER SYNOPSIS:

In Between You and Me, twenty-seven-year-old Logan Wade has built a life for herself in New York City, far from her unhappy childhood in Oklahoma. But when she gets the call that her famous cousin needs a new assistant, it’s an offer she can’t refuse. Logan hasn’t seen Kelsey since they were separated as kids; in the meantime, Kelsey Wade has become one of Fortune Magazine’s most powerful celebrities and carrion for the paparazzi. But the joy at their reunion is overshadowed by the toxic dynamic between Kelsey and her controlling parents. As Kelsey grasps desperately at a “real” life, Logan risks everything to try and give her cousin the one thing she has never known—happiness. As Kelsey unravels in the most horribly public way Logan finds that she will ultimately have to choose between saving her cousin and saving herself.


MY REVIEW:

Note:  I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I really did not enjoy this book. I read while I was on vacation recently, hoping for a light, happy easy read based on the synopsis and cover artwork. It was easy to read, but it was not easy to keep reading. I just didn't care or want to. I read almost 85-90% and decided it just wasn't worth it. I didn't care how it ended, and I knew it wouldn't make a difference to how I felt about the story or the writing or for the purpose of writing a review.

This is a thinly (spiderweb-thin) veiled fictionalized version of the life of Britney Spears circa 2007. The breakup with Justin, the partying, the rushed nuptials, the baby-itch, the pregnancy, the messy divorce, the crash and burn. Now, I'm one of those who has always been rooting Britney on- hoping she would find her way eventually. I don't however, care to read someone else's storybook version of her public meltdown. We know the story. We know how bad it was. We can see how young Hollywood struggles. If you're going to write a book about this kind of material, at least make it original (no, pairing the Britney character with a Matthew McConaughey type doesn't count as original) and use it to say SOMETHING insightful. OR at the very least make it more emotional and less obvious.

So there you have it- my first really negative book review on my blog (I've avoided writing about the ones I just couldn't finish until now.) I would love to hear from someone who read this and disagrees with me. Was there something I missed? It does have a 2.85 rating on Goodreads, so someone out there must have enjoyed it... Feel free to leave your comments down below!

Happy weekend, dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment